Friday, July 30, 2010

Photo Friday: The Beauty Of Small Things

I may have mentioned before that I struggle with a tendency towards control freakishness. (So totally a word.) I try and try to control things that are much too big for me. I try to gain the upper hand over things that I have no right to dominate. I worry over issues that will work themselves out without my interference. And I am trying hard to give up this folly. Because that is exactly what it is--folly.

So instead, I am working at following my heart in finding and being satisfied with the beauty of small things: watching the goldfinches at the feeder, taking a bike ride in the gathering twilight, giggling in bed with one of my children, a glass of wine on the patio, quiet time with my husband, the dance of butterflies in my yard, a text from a friend that makes me laugh, the taste of fresh tomatoes, the smell of the air after a rainstorm.

I'm realizing that my day could be made up of a string of small, yet beautiful things if only I would be mindful of them and be present in the moment. No easy feat, but one which I am willing to try to accomplish.


Mary's shells. Treasures found on our visit to the lake. Photographed with a Canon Rebel xTi 18-55mm lens.

blog comments powered by Disqus