Thursday, February 9, 2012

What's On My ______?

Just thought I'd take a few moments to share with you some good things that I'm enjoying. Some you may know, some you may not, but as I've stated many times in the past, I'm a giver. Maybe you'll enjoy them, too.

What's on my bedside table: 

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp--a book of gratitude that I am taking my time reading. Her writing is dreamy, her beliefs solid.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green--this is a book designated for Young Adults, but I enjoyed it. Really well written. The premise is agonizing, and you might cry a little, but you will laugh, too.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close--I haven't seen the movie and I know it has had some mixed reviews, but I can say that the book is very good. It's different and I'm really enjoying it. I've laughed out loud several times and I've also had my heart good and wrenched.

What's on my ipod and Spotify:

The Head and The Heart--folksy and delicious.

Scars on 45--I want them to follow me around everywhere I go and sing.

Gotye--intriguing and cool.

Trombone Shorty--I dare you not to dance. Or at the very least tap your feet. And there is no way you can be in a bad mood after listening.

The Temper Trap--I love them in a way that borders on stalkerish.

Fitz and the Tantrums--retro, cool, funky, fun.

Rachael Yamagata--I want her to sing to me in my kitchen while I'm fixing dinner.

Sara Gazarek--ditto.

What's on my DVR:

Downton Abbey--I watched the full first season late last summer and couldn't wait for it to start again in January. Yes, British soap opera, but boy howdy! It's good!

The Middle--Wednesday nights are my Kids Take Care Of Yourself Mama's Busy Night. And this show is one of the reasons why. The writers have a spy camera in my house. I'm sure of it.

Modern Family--Again. I make it known to my offspring not to need me for anything unless their hair is on fire. And even then I might tell them that that they are smart and they can problem solve this one on their own.

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon--Really, what's not to love?

What's at the top of my internet favorites:

Chookooloonks--if you've never visited Karen Walrond's site (and why wouldn't you? It's right over there on my blogroll!) you are missing out on some beautiful photography and much more. Karen has a wonderful take on life. She's 'wildly convinced you are uncommonly beautiful.' And she's right! In addition to her vision of life, and her fabulous skills with a camera, she's got a great sense of humor.

Bedtimes are for Suckers--this might not be for everyone, as there is some "salty" language now and again, but if you want a take on life from a cranky 5 year old and the opportunity to have some snorting laughter, this blog can't be beat. (Thanks to my Supah Genius brother, Jon for leading me here. You da bomb, bro.) (Let's pretend I didn't just add that last part.)

Pronunciation Manual--you can find this on YouTube. Not to be confused with Pronunciation Book, which gives actual pronunciation for learners of English, Pronunciation Manual packs comedy gold into 8 seconds. I particularly enjoy the pronunciations of "escargot," "Aeropostale," and "Kanye West."

Design-seeds.com--a blog devoted to color. Searching for a color palette? You can find it here.

louisvsrick.com--what happens when a man teaches his cat to instant message. I don't have a cat. I wouldn't call myself a cat person. But I love this blog and crack up--like big, snorting guffaws--when reading it.

So there you have it. The things that have been keeping me occupied lately. What about you? Have you come across anything good? Well, you should really do like your kindergarten teacher taught you and share. (Like right here. In the comments section.) It's always more fun than keeping the good stuff to yourself.

blog comments powered by Disqus