1. Preparation makes life easier.
2. Big changes don't always have to take big effort. Or big money or big time, for that matter.
3. Attention to detail counts.
4. Variety is important.
5. Sometimes you have to get dirty.
6. Working alone isn't always a bad thing.
7. Working with other people can make a task more pleasant.
8. Clean up after yourself.
9. Little things can make the people you love happy.
10. Pace yourself.
And two extra things I learned from painting that I think are important and can be carried over into other areas of life:
11. The right playlist on your ipod is essential for happily completing some jobs.
12. Always, always, always check the bottom of your shoes.